Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Lilla's Story


Here is the story of how Lilla Cole decided to show up a little early.

Wednesday, I had my usual Dr. apt. I was 38 weeks and a few days. Dr. Moss said that I was 3 cm and 60%. Soon after that appointment, I began contracting. They were irregular so I went to Walmart grocery shopping.

When I got home, Mylie got up from her nap and had really high temp. It was 103.5 so I called her Dr. We went over to MMC and the Dr. ran some test. They were not sure what was causing her fever all of the test were coming back negative. So, they sent us home with instructions to come back for a follow up apt the next morning.

In the meantime, my contractions continued and were getting more regular. We started timing them at about 5:30. From then until 6:30, they were getting stronger and were 3 to 5 mins apart.

When we got home, around 6, we ate dinner, then I called Tamara to come over. She watched Mylie while we went up to Labor and Delivery to get things checked out. All the while, Justin and I really never thought that this would amount to anything but and hour up at the hospital getting monitored.

So, we went in, and within 30 mins they determined that I was in labor. We called our families to let them know and started making arrangements for Mylie. Things become much more logistically difficult when you already have one child. I am slowing learning this.

I received an epidural a couple of hours after I arrived and labor began to stall. So they did give me some medicine to help speed things along.

When it got time to push, the nurse prepared everything, then had me push twice through one contraction. Then she said stop, and asked the other girl in the room to page the Dr. I told her then that I was not pushing, but felt like Lilla was on the move. She told me to breath and then told Justin who was the only other one in the room to go and get anyone he could find in the hallway to come and help. He went to the door and found another nurse who stepped in as Lilla was arriving. The Dr. made it in the room and had one glove on by the time Lilla was half way here. All this progress was made with me NOT pushing! The Dr. grabbed Lilla by the head and waist and laid her on me. It was by far the easiest delivery. I was joking with a few people that Lilla "just slid out" but she really did!

Recovery has been wonderful. Once my epidural wore off, and I could stand up, I was feeling much better.

The past few days here at the house have been wonderful. We have had lots of visitors and friends cooking us dinner.

Lilla is back up to her birth weight, and is starting to open her eyes more each day. I am planning on taking some more pictures in the next few days. I will post them soon.... so stay tuned.

No comments: